consider the tow-truck driver who goes out at night and slashes tires.
it's certainly one way for him/her to get more customers.
here are other theoretical examples of dark-side market development:
* a defense contractor that lobbies politicians to go to war
* a home security installer who breaks into one house in every four-block radius
* a beef company that funds a study finding the importance of eating beef 2x a day
* arsonist firefighters
* a cybersecurity firm that stages large-scale hacking campaigns
* window-repairmen that are shit golfers